7 Ways To Keep Your Pet Safe During This Holiday Season

7 Ways To Keep Your Pet Safe During This Holiday Season

1. Teach your dog not to beg at the dinner table. Feeding pets rich holiday fare can lead to pancreatitis, a painful and potentially life-threatening condition most commonly caused by overindulgence in fatty food.

2. Never leave your pet alone with burning candles, it could prevent a harrowing trip to the vet ER.

3. Keep glass ornaments, tinsel, ribbon, loose electrical cords and potpourri out of reach. Cats are especially attracted to tinsel and ribbon, which can be dangerous if accidentally ingested. Liquid and dried potpourris can be toxic for cats and, in some cases, for dogs as well.

4. Always supervise children around pets, and watch your cat or dog for signs of distress, such as trying to escape or growling.

5. Keep Holly, Mistletoe and Other Holiday Plants out of reach of pets, they can be toxic. Other foliage that can be dangerous includes amaryllis and lilies. If you suspect your animal has ingested a poisonous plant, call your veterinarian or the ASPCA’s poison control hotline at 888-426-4435.

6. Do not put lights on the tree’s lower branches. Not only can your pet get tangled up in the lights, but they can also cause burns if they become entangled. Additionally, your dog or cat may inadvertently get shocked by biting through the wire.

7. Keep edible tree decorations out of reach. These goodies are just too enticing and are also choking hazards.